In 2008, we sent out our first, small team to provide a Christian worship service in a nursing home. What we found was a plentiful harvest field, and a precious opportunity to bring the gospel to some of the people who most need to hear the message of God's great love for them.
We are passionate about both sharing stories that highlight the spiritual needs of the many short- and long-term residents of nursing homes in every one of our communities, and providing resources so that any Christian can feel equipped to help meet those needs. Our vision is to see a worship service in every nursing home in America, so that physical and mental challenges due to age and illness would not be an obstacle for anyone to hear the good news of great joy.
LIFE IN A NURSING HOME
- 50% of residents don't have any close relatives.
- Over 60% of residents never have a single visitor.
- The average length of stay of a resident in elderly care is 2.5 years.
- 10% of people who enter a nursing home will stay there five or more years.
- 33% of residents suffer from some form of depression.
- 42% of residents experience some form of dementia.
- 65% of people who enter a nursing home die within one year of admission. On average, a resident will die within the first 5 months.
- Approximately 70% of persons with advanced dementia die in nursing homes within six months.
- 30% of all deaths in the U.S. occur in a nursing home.